Most people use computers in these days, since they are really valuable tools for a majority of needs that we have:
- Productivity: productivity suite expedite processes necessary for the smooth operation of a business.
- Entertainment: either with video on demand or gaming.
- Design: the creation of content for other’s people entertainment or benefit.
- Communication: coordinating all sorts of things, from family reunions to important board meetings.
- Shopping: you can buy pretty much anything you can think of online, even groceries.
Computers are making our daily lives easier and more streamlined, yet few of us actually dedicate some time to learn exactly what is inside of a PC, or how it works.
Because of this, most people find themselves completely flabbergasted when a computer fails. It could be the simplest of things that is causing a computer to malfunction, an easily fixable error that could not only save us some money by fixing without calling a repairman, but also peace of mind by knowing what exactly is wrong and how to fix it without panicking about permanently lost files.
One of the most common sources of malfunction is a device’s drivers, and when it comes to gaming PCs, having outdated or, even worse, incorrect or generic video drivers can lead to many, many headaches down the road.
So, in this article we will go over what drivers are, what they do and what programs you can use in order to fully optimise your PC’s drivers. This is not to say that you need a program to help you with this, but trust us when we say it will make your life a thousand times easier to have one.
Let us start off by defining what a device driver does, which is really rather simple:
- A driver provides a software interface to hardware devices, enabling operating systems and other computer programs to access hardware functions without needing to know precise details of the hardware being used.
And that’s it. In the simplest possible terms a driver simply tells your OS how to interact with a particular piece of hardware in an easy to process manner. They are important simply for the fact that every PC out there has different specifications, which can result in a myriad of possible combinations that could present a problem with compatibility.
You can undoubtedly see why it is very important to keep these drivers up to date. So, let’s go over three ways you can update your drivers (and remember, always double check any and all files that you download, as well as the veracity of the website you are downloading them from. A simple search can save you an enormous headache) :
- Download and install directly from the manufacturer. When downloaded direct from the hardware maker, you’ll know the driver is both valid and the most recent for the hardware. Additionally, most manufacturers now have easy to use tools on their website in case you don’t know the name or model of the hardware you’re trying to get drivers for. After this, it is simply a matter of opening up the device manager (in Windows 8.1 and onwards, this is done much more easily by simply pressing windows+x to open the power user menu).
Look for the device you wish to update, right click on it and click on “properties” and then the “Drivers” tab, and look for “update driver”. After this simply select “browse my computer for driver software” and look for the drivers you downloaded.
- Alternatively, you can simply let windows search the web for the appropriate drivers. This is achieved almost the same way as the previous point in our list, only when it comes time to choose “browse my computer for driver software” choose the option that reads “search automatically for updated driver software”.
Windows will try looking for the latest drivers and install them once they are found. You should, however, know that this is not always the best option available, since what Windows considers being the latest drivers and what the actual latest drivers are can be different, so Windows might tell you that you are already up to date when there are new drivers available in the manufacturer’s website.
- Finally, if you really want to get all of this done completely hassle free, automatically and easily, you should look no further than SafeBytes DriverAsssist. What can you expect from this handy program? Take a look at some of the most important features:
- Automatic Driver Installation. DriverAssist is an extremely intuitive program that installs all requisites drivers for your PC automatically. You have no need to do anything else with DriverAssist other than install it onto your PC; the sophisticated software does all the work for you.
- Driver Intelligence. DriverAssist is an intelligent program which carefully establishes what the appropriate drivers for your computer programs are. This enables accurate installation and ensures that your PC runs to its optimum level.
- Smart Device Identification. The DriverAssist software is based on sophisticated technology that automatically detects all of the appropriate PC drivers in a matter of seconds. It will then match them with the latest available version, and update every driver required by your system with a compatible version on a regular basis.
- Safe USB Management and Eject. DriverAssist also helps you manage USB devices. There is no need to worry about safely removing hardware with DriverAssist, as it makes the ejecting process and safely removing hardware from your PC extremely straightforward.
- Full Back-up and Restore. Additionally, DriverAssist helps you backup all of your data and restore your machine to the time when it was previously working if you encounter any problems. It really is an ideal package to ensure that your PC runs to its fullest potential.
- 24/7 Customer Service. DriverAssist is a product of SafeBytes, and therefore benefits from the renowned customer service associated with the company. SafeBytes is on call 24/7 to assist you with any problems that you might encounter.